Dragon Star Varnir
Top Critic Average
Developer: IDEA Factory
Genres: Action, RPG
- Fight enemies midair in a unique, vertically-oriented battle system. Strategically position your party at different tiers to attack and disable the enemy's skills, one level at a time!
- Perform enough attacks to unleash the dragon within, transforming each character to unlock devastating skills and newfound strength during battle!
- Weaken an enemy dragon to devour its element! When the element is pierced into a character, they can absorb that dragon's skill tree. But at what cost...?
- Three witches depend on you to bring them dragon's blood as food. Starve them, and they go mad. Overfeed them, and they become a dragon!
- Will you keep the witches alive, or sacrifice them to obtain ultra rare items and skills? Your choices will change the game's endings!
Dragon Star Varnir™ - Overview Trailer (NA)
Dragon Star Varnir™ - Battle System Trailer
Dragon Star Varnir - Opening Movie Trailer (NA)
Dragon Star Varnir's dark world of witches and warfare is unlike anything else Compile Heart and Idea Factory have put out. Unfortunately, the experience is brought down by less than stellar visuals and doesn't make the most of its main gameplay innovations.. There's an interesting story to unfold here, but actually playing the game to get to it might be a challenge best left unmet.
Dragon Star Varnir knows its limitations and only tries to hide them in the first hours. The combat system is the only positive thing to defend in this video game. The rest, however, seems a little bit disappointing beyond the design of main characters.
Review in Spanish | Read full review
If you love these small, niche JRPGs and can snag a copy of Dragon Star Varnir at a discount, I'd say pick it up. The $60 price point for recycled assets and a game that has more reading than voice over just seems a little too steep for me. But hey, that's just one girl's opinion.